Thursday, February 19, 2009

Single Speeds and the Dangers of Felines

I have noticed a strange and wonderful phenomenon here in Denver. It seems there exists a small collective of single speed bicycle riders around Cap Hill, all racing around with their pant legs rolled up and their facial hair a'scragglin'.

Being that I cannot grow facial hair, I feel i do not fit in with the gang. But it got me thinking- is this the new trend? Instead of the Hell's Angels, will our generation have the Hell's Peddlers? Instead of stabbing rowdy people at Dead concerts, will we simply stand silently at emo concerts and blog about it later?

I think yes.

Denver is a pretty good city to bicycle in. It's mostly flat in the central Denver area, only getting terribly hilly the further you get out of town. I guess Cap Hill counts as not being flat, but it's not that bad. You big babies.

Single speed bikes work well here. And most of the city is pretty good about not running you over if you stay to the shoulder far enough. The one exception is the Tech Center. The people there don't seem to like we cyclers. I've only had 3 confrontations though.

Plus, it's a nifty way to see the neighborhoods.

I should mention, however, that upon the 800 block of S. Pearl St. there lives a villainous creature so vile and disgusting that all should tread lightly. Some may call the creature a cat, but it is far more insidious then that name implies. It chases we poor 2-wheeled folk, meowing as blood drips down his fangs.

Seriously, the little a-hole chased me for a block.

0 comments:

Post a Comment